“My Own Jesus,
Jesus, hear my prayer. If this pleases you, if my pain
and suffering, my darkness and separation gives you a drop of consolation, my
own Jesus do with me as you wish, as long as you wish, without a single glance
at my feelings and pain. I am your own. Imprint on my soul and life the
sufferings of your heart. Don’t mind my feelings; don’t mind even my pain, if
my suffering separation from you brings others to you, and in their love and company
you find joy and pleasure.
My Jesus I am willing with all my heart to suffer all
that I suffer not only now, but through all eternity if this was possible. Your
happiness is all that I want. For the rest, please do not take the trouble even
if you see me faint with pain. All of this is my will. I want to satiate your
thirst with every single drop of blood that you can find in me. Don’t allow me
to do you wrong in any way. Take from me the power of hurting you…I am ready to
wait for you through all eternity.”
In all honesty, it hurts me just to read these words. While
I am filled with admiration of the woman who was so willing to set aside her
comfort and joy to please Christ, I am at the same time I ache as I feel her
pain and suffering. While I cannot understand perfectly the pain she feels, I
have had dark moments that have led me to similar places of darkness and
separation.
Have you questioned yet who said these chilling, albeit
inspiring words? I know I was surprised.
A few weeks ago in class, Mother Teresa came up in a
classroom discussion. For those of you that don’t know much about her, here is
a brief summary: Mother Teresa was a nun as part of the Order of the Sisters of
Loreto, who after some years left the order and founded the Missionaries of
Charity which consisted of over 4,500 sisters and is active in 133 countries.
They run hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis;
soup kitchens; dispensaries and mobile clinics; children's and family
counseling programs; orphanages; and schools. Members of the order must adhere
to the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, and the fourth vow, to give
"Wholehearted and Free service to the poorest of the poor". In
essence, they live a lifestyle that was modeled by Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa was the recipient of numerous honors including
the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize. In late 2003, she was beatified, the third
step toward possible sainthood, giving her the title "Blessed Teresa of
Calcutta". A second miracle credited to her intercession is required
before she can be recognized as a saint by the Catholic Church. Its a
beautiful, though complex process to become a saint. Mother Teresa has been
admired, honored, and respected the world over
However, Sister Cavanaugh brought to my attention that while
Mother Teresa was a wonderful example of selfless giving, she too had struggles
and doubts. The quote above was hers. The pain, suffering and darkness was her
own. Sister Cavanaugh explain that in her later years in life, Mother Teresa
felt spiritually “dry”. She wasn’t able to feel the fire she had once felt.
Now some will try (and many already have tried) to use this
to prove that God doesn’t exist. Others have used it as evidence that the Catholic
Church has fallen from Light and Truth. People who are willfully resistant to
truth do not want to understand it, and they jeer at it or try to misrepresent
what the “darkness” Mother Teresa felt was all about. But there is more
to it, you just have to be willing to look deeper.
If I am honest with myself (and I don’t mean to project this
onto anyone else, but feel it to be true), I believe that every intelligent
person— regardless of upbringing— will have questions, will have doubts. We
know too, that every person is given trials. Some are called to endure very,
very difficult ones. I don’t think you can be a serious, thoughtful, dedicated
Christian and not have doubts, not wrestle sometimes with faith, not struggle
with weaknesses and adversity. And for those who have given it all, have
allowed themselves to be used up until they literally have nothing left to
give, it seems to me that such dark nights would be unavoidable.
We mortals want to think we are in charge. We want the
surety that nothing is going to interrupt our plans. But the real
growth periods—the celestial, transforming, defining moments— will almost never
be in those “summer sun” phases of our lives. It will be the quick changes in
the winds and the sudden darkening sky that cause us to readjust and trust that
will really try our stability and strength.
But we can take hope even in the darkness as we are promised
that we won’t be pushed beyond hope. We won’t be pushed beyond faith. We won’t
beyond what the future has in store for us. As Elder Holland, Apostle of the
LDS Church spoke of the trust we must have in ourselves and recognize how far
we have come.
![]() |
| Elder Jeffery R. Holland |
As simple or as superficial as it sounds, we should take
heart. We can at least keep trying. We can at least get up every morning and
put one foot in front of the other. Just keep trying. Keep leaning
on God. We are promised that we will not be tempted or tried above what we are
able to bear. But that does not mean just what we bear with our own strength,
but as we lean on the Lord; as we trust Him.
This was the one of the blessings of “dark nights” according
to Elder Holland: “You get the real-life chance to say: “Can I really trust the
Lord?”
The truth that we all must learn to put our trust in God and
lean in Him is a realization we must all come to eventually. I believe that there are three essential parts to this trust (okay, there are probably a couple more, but three stick out to me right now). First; that we cannot get through this life without God's help. The scriptures are
replete with stories of men who leaned on God for their strength. One that
comes readily to mind is David of the Old Testament. Two-thirds of David’s
psalms convey the same message and with the same tone I have felt time and time
again. On aching knees, with tear-filled eyes, and trembling voice; I— like
David— have begged: “Lord, help me. Help me hang on.”
The second part of this trust comes in the answer I get. Every time. Every. Single. Time. I have been able to
get back up off my knees and move forward. Not that my burden is gone, not that
the path is necessarily lighter, or that I have had any sort of awakening or
powerful impression. But there is a peace that inevitably finds its way back
into my heart. I don’t say this because I’m strong. I don’t say this because I’m full of faith or especially righteous like that. I say this because I fallen down a million times, whether it be from exhaustion, mistakes, fear, or lack of faith. But the important part is that every time He’s still there to help me stand back up and push me to keep moving forward. This second part: trusting that God will help us.
And third: trusting that God does it all out of love. God does know what is best for us and what will be of greatest benefit to us in the long run. He has a perfect, eternal perspective that we, with out 20/20 (at best) mortal eyes can't hope to perceive. He, like the parent who aches as they watch their child given vaccination shots does not relish their pain, but knows that it is for the best. I feel Dr. Jonathan Sandberg, a professor at BYU, said it perfectly: "God is more concerned with our growth, than our comfort". This is true, because He loves us and knows what it takes to become like him. But we must never forget that He loves us.
And third: trusting that God does it all out of love. God does know what is best for us and what will be of greatest benefit to us in the long run. He has a perfect, eternal perspective that we, with out 20/20 (at best) mortal eyes can't hope to perceive. He, like the parent who aches as they watch their child given vaccination shots does not relish their pain, but knows that it is for the best. I feel Dr. Jonathan Sandberg, a professor at BYU, said it perfectly: "God is more concerned with our growth, than our comfort". This is true, because He loves us and knows what it takes to become like him. But we must never forget that He loves us.
Mother Teresa, among many other followers of Christ, emulated this principle of pushing on through darkness. She didn't know how
long she would need to, but she put one foot in front of the other; again and
again. We, like Mother Teresa, have "nights of darkness" that we do not know when, how, or if they will clear. But we, like Mother Teresa, can also move forward even in the dark, trusting in a Loving God. That much, we can do. And thankfully, that is all that is expected. We may not have the answers and we may not know when
they’ll come. But we can push on: be it in day of sunlight or the night of darkness.


No comments:
Post a Comment