Companions:
com·pan·ion
noun
- A person with whom one spends a lot of time or with whom one travels.
- A person who shares the experiences of another, esp. when these are unpleasant or unwelcome.
- One of a pair of things intended to complement or match each other.
When I look back on the friends I have had—particularly
through the more developmental years of my life— it is apparent that God blessed me
greatly through the people He put in my life. Those friends have left
imprints on my mind and heart. Above all in high school I noticed that my
friends were exceptional examples. They inspired me to be a better person (often times
without knowing they were doing so). They did their best to help me along through hard
times and I am forever grateful for them. To me; they exemplified and fulfilled
the scripture found in Doctrine and Covenants 121:
“Thy friends do stand
by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.”
(D&C 121:9)
They made themselves available to me and were willing to
help. Because I now understand what that means, I often times shake my head at
the foolish, but prideful boy that I was. While I let them “stand by” me, I never
allowed myself to feel the “warm hearts and friendly hands”. Something inside me wouldn’t
permit them to come “in”. I didn’t let people, even those who were closest to
me, experience who I really was.
Until my time as a missionary for the LDS church, I had very
little understanding of what a companion was. To the best of my recollection
the only time I remember hearing the word was in the context of LDS Mormon missionaries.
Now, as I had mentioned above, to that point in my life I had been a fairly independent
person. I believe I was afraid of letting people close and so I had the appearance
of being a strong, independent person and I had taken pride in that. Alright; I
at least I thought I looked strong
and independent. I know now that some
people managed to see right through the façade. They knew me better than I knew
myself, because I had even fooled yours truly into believing I didn’t need anyone’s
help or support to achieve what I wanted in life. How wrong I was.
I believe we have all heard the horror stories of crazy,
weird, lazy and or disobedient mission companions. Those terrified me before
the mission and frustrated me during it. In spite of some traumatic and almost
explosive experiences; I became a much more wholesome person. I was required to
let go of some control and be dependent on others. While this wasn’t easy to relinquish my
absolute control of what happened, I began to enjoy it. I began to trust people
to help me. As I saw that they would do so willingly, I began to trust people
with more than favors, but to share aspects of my life; fears, insecurities,
and weaknesses with some of these people. They became more open and honest with
me, and as I learned of their fears or weaknesses, my love for them increased
as did my desire to lift and strengthen them.
As I allowed myself to open my eyes to deeper relationships,
I began to find numerous instances of similar relationships in the scriptures.
Alma and Amulek; one of the greatest missionary companionships of all time was
a perfect example of this. While they
did preach the gospel and lifted the people, they lifted each other:
And it came to pass
that Alma and Amulek, Amulek having forsaken all his gold, and silver, and his precious
things . . . he being rejected by those
who were once his friends and also by his father and his kindred. . . Alma
having seen all these things, therefore he took Amulek . . . . to his own
house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in
the Lord.- Alma15: 16,18
I had learned how to trust, support and love my companions
and I had learned how to receive the same. Learning to do so had become one of
the greatest blessings of my mission. There was one problem though; I didn’t
see how these new experiences of companionship could function after the
mission. As I mentioned before, I never heard people talk about companions
before with the exception of the LDS mission context. I thought my return home
would be the end of those relationships.
Still, the idea of a “best friend” was familiar to me. That idea was engraved upon my mind at an early age with the help of a
very vivacious and expressive Anne Shirley. The Anne of Green Gables movies
were almost a yearly tradition at our home. It would usually be a Sunday
evening once a year where they would play the movies on a local channel. Our
family would gather and watch them together (especially because it was about
the only thing we were permitted to watch on a Sunday).
![]() |
| Anne Shirley, wandering and "taking it all in" as she would say. |
In the story, Anne Shirley yearned for one thing more
than any other—even more than changing the color of her carrot-red hair—she wanted “bosom friend” as she so affectingly terms it. While not the terminology I would use on a daily basis, I understood what she wanted: A person to be there
always, to stick around even when she was crazy, dramatic, and stubborn. She
wanted a friend who was loyal and faithful even when she accidentally served current wine instead or raspberry cordial.
While the whole story is fun and intriguing, one of the most beautiful aspects
of this story is that early on in the story she finds what she was looking for.
We get to see her friendship with the “kindred spirit” Diana Berry grow
stronger through years of experience and memories.
But in my young mind though, it was just a story—almost a
fairytale. While it looked pleasant it just didn’t seem to fit in the grand
scheme of things. People couldn’t really become “bosom friends” or “kindred
spirits”. There was not sufficient time as there were already a million things
that scream for our attention. People had responsibilities to work and family
and there wasn’t a place reserved on our Google calendars for bosom friends.
However, I have learned an important truth: what is
important to us, we make time for. It was up to me. But the question now is do
I want this? Do I need this? Is it selfish of me to want it?
In all honesty, there have been times when I have felt that
friendships are something that are to be “sacrificed” upon having a family. I
feel that this is important though to recognize the distinction between
doctrine and culture. In my experience, LDS culture at times overlooks the importance
of a good friend in its strong push and emphasis on family, while doctrine recognizes
not only the temporal, but eternal worth and importance of both.
![]() |
| President Monson and President Uchtdorf: True examples of companionship. |
· Relationship with God
· Relationship with Family
· Relationships with Fellowman (I feel strongly that friends are among this group)
· Relationships with Self
These; all of them, are the essentials of this life (of
course within the Gospel of Jesus Christ). Relationships we have created during
this life is among very few things we get to take with us to the next.
And that same
sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be
coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy. (D&C 130:2)
While I have mentioned some ways in which friends are a
blessing, there is one aspect in which I feel reaches deeper than the others. I
will just preface the last part with this: It has been said that “me too” are the
most comforting words in any language (it has been attributed to LDS leaders as
well as other great thinkers, so I won’t attempt an exact quotation).
Coming to the conclusion that you are different from others
is not easy. I want to differentiate this from the idea that one should just
“be yourself” as the all too common cliché would tell us. But to know that
beyond your hobbies, interest and personality or whatever superficial or knee
deep characteristics or flaws you show others; you are different is difficult
to handle. To know that at your core—your very essence— you are not like others
can be a very hard truth to accept.
Upon realizing their deep feelings of distinction, many
isolate themselves behind two stories: No one will accept or love me and the
other; no one can understand me. Both of these fears go deep and can poison
mind and heart to light and hope. I feel that for this, more than for any other
reason, God has blessed us with friends. Close friends; companions.
I will explain myself briefly. When we allow ourselves to
open up to “be vulnerable” as I have talked about in previous posts, our
relationships become more real and fulfilling. We get closer to people and
continue to grow in love and understanding as we come to know who the other
really is. Often times, it is as we open ourselves up to these moments and
relationships of vulnerability we hear, as I mentioned before, the most
comforting words anyone could hear: me
too. Me too; so simple, but so
powerful. Bonds grow stronger, trust runs deeper, and relationships are
solidified; sometimes eternally. I feel
that this depth, security and peace in relationships can only come when those
relationships are sanctioned by God. He knows us and knows what we need and who can help us get those needs me. Those are close friends. Those are
companions.
In understanding this, I believe I gained a greater insight
to the important role John had in the eyes of our Savior. Many things are
unclear as to Christ and His personal relationships on earth as it was not the
purpose of scripture. The scriptures were written to help us understand the
Doctrine and Gospel of Christ that would allow us to return to live with God
and His Son. So this I say for myself and what I believe. While I have heard
mention of some of these points by general authorities and professors, none of
it have a heard stated as doctrine. But, I take it as a personal truth.
Christ came to this earth alone. He descended here and took
up a mortal body that he might one day atone for our sins and afflictions.
While we know He entered the earth passing through the veil as we all do. In
spite of His divine parentage, he was to hang up the divinity within Him for a
time; at times referred to by scholars as “latent divinity” or the suppressed
glory that was not only in His spirit but expressed in his DNA. But we all know
that in spite of these He grew in wisdom and stature.
I believe with all my heart that it was out of God’s love
for His son that He sent John to be Christ’s support. I of course understand
that it was necessary that a man sent by God come to prepare the way for the
Redeemer of the world, but John was more than that to Christ. He was a distant
relative and a forerunner, but their relationship I believe was even more
intimate. I feel the Gospel of John gives us a slight insight to what John
really was to the Savior. There he is referred to as “The friend of the
Bridegroom” (John 3:29).
Many have wondered as to when Christ understood His role as
Savior of the world. However, while the moment he realized His role completely
could be debated; it is obvious that He knew He had a higher calling. He
understood that He was different. Fortunately, someone else did too.
John; a literal friend from the womb (a true bosom friend?),
distant relative and the chosen “preparer
of the way” was one who could understand, at least in small degree, the role
Jesus of Nazareth had in the grand scheme of things. Both were receiving inspiration
and direction from on High and both were aware of their respective roles. In
this, I am sure Christ found a measure of peace and comfort; someone in whom he
could trust and confide. A faithful friend; a
companion.
![]() |
| Reflections of Christ: "Joy" by Mark Mabry |
I believe this relationship was a sure foundation for the
Lord. This close relationship explains too why upon hearing of the death of His
close friend, Christ felt the need to “apart himself” to the wilderness for a
time. It would have hurt to lose such a friend, particularly when He had at
least a semblance of an understanding of what was to come. But I’m sure; their
relationship was deepened because of what they went through; together and
individually. I can only image the reunion of those two in the Courts of our
Father in Heaven.
Some people who saw this before I posted it asked why? Why
did I choose to write about companions? Why did I feel I could make some
assumptions about other relationships as well?
Let me tell you. Because I am grateful for those who have been “companions”
in my life. I am grateful to God for allowing me to experience such
relationships. As I have allowed myself to have them, I have found greater
connection and depth in my relationships with God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Through
cultivating relationships with companions I have strengthened my companionships
with Deity. Companionship and true friends has led me to feel with greater intensity
the love and connection that I know exist in the Celestial World. Developing
this new trust and dependency on others changed the way I think, is changing
the way I act, and is beginning to change the way I live life. Why? Because
these relationships bring heaven to earth.



No comments:
Post a Comment